Thursday, January 8, 2009

First Day on the boat

8th January, 2009

Falling asleep last night I thought, "Wow, can't even tell we are moving" But that was NOT the case this morning. The ship was creaking, everything in my room was shifting and it was definitely rocking. I looked out the window and only saw blue ocean with waves about 20 feet. Still I felt ok, so I showered and got dressed and that was enough movement for me to start getting the sweats and that sick feeling in my stomach-I was getting sea sick. So, I laid back down-horizontal is my only option to get rid of the sickness. About on hour in the leader announced that there would be a required emergency drill. Seven alarms are made throughout the boat. When I hear that I am suppose to grabbed warm clothes and shoes and a lifejacket and proceed to the lounge area for further instruction. So, I bucked up and particpated (becasue as we know these boats can crash into ice, 2 in the past year) so I would be prepared if somehting happened. After the drill I immediately returned to my room. HOwever, on my return I saw the fitness room, library, spa andlounge. All very nice and welcoming spaces. I hope I can take advantage soon.

Lying back down for about an hour gave me a chance to feel normal again when the leader announced there would be a bird group going on the deck. I could not stay in my room for that. This was the only day I would have a chance to see some of the petrels and albatrosses becasue once we crossed the Antarctic Convergence the species numbers and types change.

****What is the convergence?****
****Why does the species change south of the convergence?****

Once on the deck, the air made me feel better. It was surprisly not too cold. I didn't have gloves on and still felt fine. I got to see the following birds: Wilson's Storm Petrel, Black Browed Albatross, Sooty Shearwater, Souhtern Giant Petrel and Cape Petrel. The Wilson's Storm Petrel is a remarkable bird. Its body is only 6-7 inches (the length of a hot dog), however its wing span is twice that size. They love to fly in rough weather and only return to land to breed. They migrate over 7000 miles each year! They seem to dance on the water with their little legs touching the surface of the water as the feed on krill. The walking on water gave them the nickname Jesus bird. The Southern giant Petrel is very different from its cousin in size. Its body is just over three feet and its wingspan is over 6 feet. Both the albatross and the Giant Petrel seemed to foolow the boat all day, useing the wind to their advantage. The glide rather than flap like the storm petrel.

****Can you name other animals that migrate great distances?****
****Why do these birds migrate so far?****

After enjoying looking at them and taking as many pictures as I could, I headed to lunch since I was feeling better and had not eaten yet. I managed to get down a bit of salad and coucous but soon needed to head back down to my room to recover. Luckily all the lectures were broadcast in our rooms so I was able to listen to the talk about the geography of Antarctica and the how to use your camera lecture.

By 4pm the captain had noticed whales. So, he made an announcement and turned the boat around so we could see them. Once again I pulled it together and went out to the deck. Their were two Fin Whales.They were blowing away and putting on a pretty good show. One of the fastest swimmer of the great whales, which is impressive since they weigh 40-50 tons. It uses counter shading to hunt for its food, dark on top and ligth underneath.

****What is counter shading? Can you name another animal that uses this method of camoflage?****
****How long is a fin whale?****
****Do they belong to the group of toothed or non toothed whales?****
****What do they feed on?****
****What is their migratory route?***

After the whale sighting I headed to the library and grabbed a piece of fruit, knowing I wasn't even going to try to get dinner. The crew said that this was calm seas compared to most other trips...boy am I in trouble if the weather changes. The good news is we will cross the convergence tomorrow and should be at the peninsula by nightfall where the seas calm. So, I am heading to bed and am looking forward tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Darcie, Trip sounds fantastic so far... We are having a great time following your adventures. Hope you feel better soon... -Matt (NNS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darcie~
    I am so happy you sent a picture of a whale. Thank you for putting the whale picture on the blog. I enjoy reading about your trip and we check on you before bed each night.
    Paige Williams (NES)

    ReplyDelete